Pentagon Pauses Canada-US Defence Board, Citing Spending Gap

The Pentagon has paused its participation in the Permanent Joint Board on Defence, a continental advisory body that has linked Canadian and American military planners since 1940. The decision, announced on Monday by U.S. Undersecretary of War Elbridge Colby, marks one of the most pointed bilateral defence moves in decades and lands at a moment when Ottawa is already navigating Washington's hardening stance on trade.
What was announced
In a statement posted to social media, Colby said the United States can no longer paper over what he described as a gap between Canadian rhetoric and Canadian action on defence. He attached a transcript of Prime Minister Mark Carney's speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos earlier this year, framing the freeze as a direct response to Carney's remarks on European-led security architecture.
The Permanent Joint Board on Defence was created in 1940 by Prime Minister William Lyon Mackenzie King and President Franklin D. Roosevelt at Ogdensburg, New York, and has operated quietly through every major shift in continental security since the Second World War. The board is advisory rather than operational. It does not command troops or run exercises. What it does do, defence officials say, is keep senior Canadian and American officers in regular conversation on Arctic surveillance, NORAD modernisation and continental missile defence.
Canada's Department of National Defence said in a brief response that the government remains ready for what it called constructive discussion on strengthening mutual security. Officials did not commit to retaliatory steps and stressed that NORAD itself, the binational command for North American air and aerospace defence, is unaffected by the pause.
The context behind Colby's move
The pause arrives less than a year into Carney's mandate. The Liberal leader won a majority government in April 2026 on a platform that promised to lift Canada's defence spending above the NATO target of two per cent of gross domestic product. According to the government, that threshold has now been met, and procurement of new submarines, fighter aircraft and Arctic surveillance assets is moving forward.
Colby's complaint is not that the headline figure is absent. It is that, in his telling, Canadian commitments to specific allied capabilities and joint procurement timelines have slipped. The Trump administration has repeatedly pressed allies to spend three per cent or more of GDP on defence, and several NATO members are moving in that direction following the unsettled state of the war in Ukraine.
Carney's Davos speech, which Colby flagged, argued that Europe and Canada must build resilient defence capacity that does not depend exclusively on the United States. That message resonated with European audiences. It also clearly irritated officials inside the Pentagon, who view such talk as undermining the case for continued American leadership of allied alliances.
Reaction in Ottawa
Federal cabinet ministers responded carefully. According to a government statement, Canada considers the joint board an important channel and hopes the suspension is temporary. The Prime Minister's Office did not directly address Colby's reference to the Davos speech.
The Conservative opposition argued the pause shows the limits of Carney's approach to Washington and called for an immediate ministerial visit to the Pentagon. New Democrat critics framed the move differently, suggesting it is yet another example of the Trump administration using bilateral structures as pressure points in unrelated trade and economic disputes.
Defence analysts in Ottawa and Halifax cautioned that the practical impact of the pause is, for now, modest. The Permanent Joint Board on Defence meets only a few times a year, and most of the day-to-day work between the two militaries happens through NORAD, through the Canada-United States Regional Planning Group, and through direct contacts between service chiefs. The symbolism, however, is harder to wave off.
What it means for Canadians
For Canadians watching from outside the defence policy bubble, the immediate question is whether the freeze affects continental security. The short answer is that NORAD operations, including the long-running effort to modernise over-the-horizon radar coverage in the Arctic, continue under separate authorities. Joint exercises, Coast Guard cooperation and intelligence sharing through the Five Eyes partnership are not part of the suspended board.
The longer-term concern is that the move signals further drift in a relationship that Canadians have long treated as a default constant. The Trump administration has already imposed tariffs on Canadian steel, aluminium and softwood lumber and is threatening new duties on Canadian agricultural exports. The defence pause adds another front to a relationship that, until very recently, sat outside political turbulence.
Provincial and security industry response
Premiers in defence-heavy provinces watched the development closely. Nova Scotia, home to a substantial naval presence at CFB Halifax, and Alberta, with significant ties to American aerospace suppliers, both said they want clarity on whether the freeze will affect joint contracts or training timelines.
Canadian defence contractors that supply both militaries through integrated supply chains are also reviewing the announcement. Industry representatives said the pause does not, by itself, affect contracts. They warned, however, that the chill could complicate future negotiations on joint procurement programs, where the board has historically played a quiet coordinating role.
The Carney government's broader defence strategy
The Liberal government has framed its defence policy around three priorities: NORAD modernisation, Arctic sovereignty and interoperability with NATO partners in Europe. Carney has argued that Canada must hedge against unpredictable American leadership without abandoning the bilateral relationship altogether.
That approach has produced commitments to new long-range surveillance aircraft, expanded participation in European arms procurement initiatives and reinvestment in Canada's defence industrial base. Critics on both sides of the political spectrum say the strategy is still under-resourced and slow to deliver capability. The Pentagon's move arguably increases pressure on Ottawa to accelerate.
What past freezes look like
Canada-United States defence cooperation has weathered earlier rough patches, but a public freeze of the Permanent Joint Board on Defence is essentially without precedent. The board kept meeting through the Vietnam war, through disputes over cruise missile testing, through the original NAFTA negotiations and through the dispute over Canada's decision not to join the 2003 Iraq war. The body operated quietly because both governments treated it as off-limits to political signalling.
That tradition has now been broken. Even if the freeze is reversed within weeks, the act of pausing the board has changed how Canadian officials think about the durability of bilateral institutions. According to officials familiar with the file, the Canadian Department of National Defence has begun reviewing other long-standing bilateral mechanisms for vulnerability to similar political interference.
Public opinion and the politics of pushback
Recent polling has shown a substantial majority of Canadians supporting a tougher Canadian posture toward the Trump administration on trade and security questions. The Pentagon's freeze of the joint board is likely to reinforce that public mood. Several political strategists have noted that the Carney government has been rewarded politically for measured pushback against American escalation and may continue that approach.
That domestic political space gives the Liberal government room to be patient. Federal officials have signalled that they will not respond to the freeze with reciprocal symbolic measures. The calculation is that overreaction would feed the narrative the Trump administration has tried to construct, while restraint will preserve channels of communication on issues where Canadian and American interests still align.
The NORAD question
The most consequential bilateral defence institution is NORAD, the binational command for North American air and aerospace defence. Canadian and American officials have repeatedly emphasised that NORAD operations are unaffected by the freeze. Modernisation of NORAD's radar coverage in the Canadian Arctic is proceeding, with Canada having committed significant new funding for the program in recent years.
The persistence of NORAD as a fully functional institution is, in many respects, the most important indicator of the practical health of the bilateral defence relationship. As long as NORAD continues to function smoothly, the broader relationship retains its working core. If NORAD itself were to come under similar political pressure, the calculation in Ottawa would change significantly.
What's next
U.S. officials have not specified what conditions Ottawa would have to meet to restore American participation in the board. That ambiguity is itself notable. In past disputes, Washington has set clear benchmarks before suspending a long-standing channel. The vagueness here suggests the freeze may be more about political signalling than about a specific concrete demand.
For now, Canadian officials say they will keep the board's Canadian delegation active and ready to meet. The next scheduled session is in the autumn. Whether American counterparts return to the table by then will say a great deal about where the bilateral relationship is heading as the Carney government enters its second year in office.
Spotted an issue with this article?
Have something to say about this story?
Write a letter to the editor